Sunday, January 15, 2012

Kokeshi Dolls

Living in Okinawa, for me, is so exciting.  Every new sight brings the excitement of a child.  I want to see everything, learn about every tradition, holiday, practice.  The feeling I get when I am out in the community, doing my best to interact with the local people, is indescribable.  It's a great adventure.


There are so many different icons of Japan, and of Okinawa specifically, that can be found all around the island.  Things like Shisa dogs, goya, eisa, sanshin, and the one I want to talk about today - the Kokeshi Doll.


Kokeshi were first made in the northern provinces of Japan as toys for children, but have come to be an important traditional folk art form.  Since arriving on the island, we have seen Kokeshi everywhere, from kiosks in the Bx to outdoor markets to Kokusai street.  They come in all shapes and sizes, depicting everything from Japanese scenery and traditions to old people and ninjas!  Each one is handmade, so even if you buy two of the same design, they will not be exactly alike.  The craftsmanship is intricate and beautiful, and so unique to the Japanese experience.


I have wanted to buy myself a Kokeshi ever since arriving here, but I also wanted to be wise about it and not buy the first one I saw.  Sadly, there are just so many that I like, I'm afraid I may have dozens of them by the time I leave here!  I officially started my collection today though, so let me introduce my two new girls.


Spirit of Japan





Spinning Wheel



Thus begins my newest collection!  




3 comments:

  1. Those are lovely! I can't wait to see your collection grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you guys seen this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/64260851/kokeshi-doll-star-trek-inspired-mr-spock

      I love them! Especially princess Leia and Captain Adama. So cute!!!

      Delete